Happy Tuesday! I am really excited to be featuring the debut novel of Maya Nessouli Abboushi on the blog today. I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy.
Read on for more details about the book, an interview with the author and a giveaway!
Middle South by Maya Nessouli Abboushi
Layla has recently moved out of her parents’ home in the Atlanta suburbs and into an apartment in the city to assert her independence. Between her job as a feature writer for a small newspaper and her social life, Layla has little time to think about marriage and children, much to the dismay of her Lebanese parents.
On a hilarious journey that takes Layla from the Southeast to the Middle East and back, she finds out a little more about herself and what she is looking for in life and in love.
Interview with Maya Nessouli Abboushi
How long have you been writing?
- I’ve been writing since I was a child. This is my first novel, but I always found it very therapeutic to get my thoughts down on paper.
- Where do you get inspiration for your stories?
- My inspiration always comes from a combination of my own experiences and the interesting aspects of Arab culture.
Is there a specific ritualistic thing you do during your writing time?
- As far as rituals go, I find that I am most productive if I go to the coffee shop down the street from my house to write. I’ve convinced myself that I’m also more creative if I work there.
If there is one thing you want readers to remember about your book, what would it be?
- The one thing I’d like my readers to remember is that the portrayal of Arab Muslims in the media is very limited. Hopefully, this novel will be enlightening in that regard.
What is your next writing project?
- I’m almost done with my next project, which is a memoir and a total departure from Middle South. It is a series of anecdotal essays about my childhood and how it relates to my mother’s rare illness.
About the Author
Maya Nessouli Abboushi is a Lebanese American born and raised in the United States. She lives in Atlanta with her husband and three children. This is her first novel.
Don’t forget to enter the giveaway!